Saberwing Forums
Goodbye Galaxies - Printable Version

+- Saberwing Forums (http://www.sabercult.com)
+-- Forum: Main Communications (http://www.sabercult.com/forum-27.html)
+--- Forum: Star Wars Galaxies (http://www.sabercult.com/forum-33.html)
+--- Thread: Goodbye Galaxies (/thread-4008.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Goodbye Galaxies - Hanak - 06-24-2011

Notice of Impending Death

Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Community Member,

We write to you today to inform you that on December 15, 2011, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) and LucasArts will end all services (MMO and Trading Card Game) for Star Wars Galaxies (SWG). The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game.

We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans. We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we've received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years.

In recognition of your incredible loyalty, we are extending special Fan Appreciation offers to the current SWG community. We also plan to go out with a bang with a galaxy-ending in-game event in December and hope to see you all there. The details relating to these offers and events as well as the timeline and specifics regarding the discontinuation of the service, are provided below.

Again, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to our player community for making SWG one of the best online communities in gaming history.

Sincerely,
Sony Online Entertainment & LucasArts

IMPORTANT DATES
June 24, 2011 12, 6 and 3-month subscription packs turned off
TCG store closes

September 15, 2011 SWG MMO and Trading Card Game no longer available for sale or subscription
No new or reactivated accounts accepted after this date

October 15, 2011 Billing turned off
Free game trials begin

December 15, 2011 Star Wars Galaxies service ends

December 31, 2011 Free game trials end

Goodbye Galaxies - NightFire - 06-24-2011

Just got the email myself. Kinda sucks, but then again imo the game died long ago.

So, Oct/Nov SWTOR launch? Tongue

I've been hoping that for a long while now. Definately no later than November.

Goodbye Galaxies - kateria - 06-24-2011

hehe soe wasn't dumb they saw the writing on the wall . so better to shut it down an go out on a high note an usher in the tor era .

with lucasarts running the show with swg and tor . How much of this was a directive by lucas arts telling soe your done .

Goodbye Galaxies - Underdark - 06-24-2011

Finally, SOE listens to their customers. Tongue

Goodbye Galaxies - Meparch - 06-24-2011

Clearly the launch date for TOR is dec 16th or there after. They wont give a game away for free while they are launching a new game.

Archangel Wrote:Clearly the launch date for TOR is dec 16th or there after. They wont give a game away for free while they are launching a new game.

You underestimate the power of stupidity.

Goodbye Galaxies - Meparch - 06-24-2011

Quote:John Smedley: The decision to shut down SWG is first and foremost a business decision mutually agreed upon between SOE and LucasArts. LucasArts has a new game coming out, and the contract would be running out in 2012 anyway, so we feel like it's the right time for the game to end.

From: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/24/exclusive-smedley-on-the-sunsetting-of-star-wars-galaxies/

Business decision means they don't want two SW MMOs in the market at the same time confusing customers. They don't underestimate the power of stupidity, then again, LA has always thought SW gamers were the stupidest people on earth.

Actually this points more toward a spring of 2012 launch, as LA wouldn't mind the whole SWG mess being completely forgotten when they launch their new MMO.

Raph Koster's take on this:
http://www.raphkoster.com/2011/06/24/swg-is-shutting-down/comment-page-1/#comment-192977

Goodbye Galaxies - Hanak - 06-25-2011

Archangel Wrote:Actually this points more toward a spring of 2012 launch, as LA wouldn't mind the whole SWG mess being completely forgotten when they launch their new MMO.

I see it a little differently. I see them as basically nailing the coffin in Sept with the end of all subscriptions and while SWG isn't in the grave yet and is suffocating they pull out the will and divy the estate up, 90% for SWTOR, 10% for Clone Wars Adventures (yeah, I forgot about that one too). Plus, it is better for them to have something for SWG players to jump to that is Star Wars, TOR, than to have them look for another MMO or game (Skyrim will be out by then).

Goodbye Galaxies - Pallos - 06-25-2011

Raph killed this game from the get-go with all the carebear crap. They had a chance to make a game with compelling end game pvp. Unfortunately, TOR is doing the same thing. TOR won't last 1/3 of the time SWG did.

Goodbye Galaxies - Hanak - 06-25-2011

Pallos, what is compelling PvP to you?

Goodbye Galaxies - Starfire - 06-26-2011

Yeah. I was kind of hoping it would go free to play, but I knew better. Oh well. It's sad to see the old girl go, but it was bound to happen. We had a hell of a lot of fun in that game, and I will always look upon it fondly. (Well, aside from the NGE.)

Goodbye Galaxies - Underdark - 06-26-2011

Starfire Wrote:We had a hell of a lot of fun in that game, and I will always look upon it fondly.

That's what she said.

Goodbye Galaxies - Pallos - 06-26-2011

"Pallos, what is compelling PvP to you?"

Actions with consequence. Eve has it. Any player can be killed at any time. Whole zones of the game are controlled by corporations that go to war over territory. None of this instanced, I'm going to waltz through faction areas unflagged crap. If you are going to have a game about a civil war, and there are only two sides, the other side better be KOS at all times, and you better have the tools to do it. You should be able to invade the other sides cities and take them over.

Goodbye Galaxies - Cillian Harth - 06-26-2011

...so there there is no point selling my mando armor now then?