Create an account

Please ensure that you clear your cookies for the site before trying to log in; until cookies are cleared you will experience issues logging/remaining logged in. (April 07, 2020) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm thinking of buying a blu-ray

question though does it play DVD's & CD's as well? can it do it all? and can it record or burn shows/movies you plan to watch later on?

I've got one, it's called a PS3, and yea, it plays everything lol, however I don't think there's a burner made for it yet, I could be wrong though

Such drives do exists but burners are hard to find. Most blurays do CDs, DVD, and read the various R/W.
[Image: image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19&dateline=1208027303]

nope no burner but as a blu ray player the ps3 is still one of the best and will be getting a firmware update for 3D content aka via shutter frame 3D it also supports LPCM and bitstream audio basically full 7.1 HD audio and when we do get the 3D update we will also get the new HD audio formats in the long run it will payoff to get the ps3 because of the ablity to update the firmware and just look at games like God Of War 3 a win in both cases
Quote:I paid no heed while the yuuzhan ravanged the galaxy. we later sought to bring the dark jedi, Lumiya, into the order but she sided with Vergere and her creation Darth Cadeus.
Darth Krayt SW legacy issue 18

Meryl Haddox Wrote:I've got one, it's called a PS3, and yea, it plays everything lol, however I don't think there's a burner made for it yet, I could be wrong though

Except i'm not buying a PS3, i'm buying a blu-ray player Tongue

then I would hold off until the 3D blu ray players drop on to the market this summer it is likely the the current players will drop in price
Quote:I paid no heed while the yuuzhan ravanged the galaxy. we later sought to bring the dark jedi, Lumiya, into the order but she sided with Vergere and her creation Darth Cadeus.
Darth Krayt SW legacy issue 18

There are cheap bluray players now actually. The PS3 is considered one of the better bluray players on the market, though it is pricey now.

If I were to buy a player, I would go with Oppo BDP-80. It is still a bit pricey and may do more than what you need on the audio end.

Going to Amazon and looking at their best selling bluray players is a good place to start. Their best selling is going to be based on both price and performance. If I am looking to buy something, I go there as a starting point.

The AVS forums has a bluray section worth looking over too.

Necro Wrote:then I would hold off until the 3D blu ray players drop on to the market this summer it is likely the the current players will drop in price

Well I prefer getting a Blu-ray/DVD/VHS combo deck that way I can experience every format.

I did see one with a VHS player of all things. Just need one with betamax and 8 track for the full experience.

ummm people still have VHS ? ....

Anyway go with arch's advice with the blue ray players .

I know my parents still have a working 8 track player and a working phonograph and working cassette players . They refuse to get technical with cd's ....
An there one the few I know still have a working betamax . As the despised the vhs format .

Well even though I am not a console fan I would also suggest a PS3 for blueray...

Someone still running with VHS?`I wonder if there is still some Betamax rednecks around as well lol

The Panasonic BD70 has a VHS deck. But if you going to want 3D I would wait until the end of this year when the HDM1 1.4 players start to come out. The PS3 will always be a 1.3 and just won't have enough bandwidth to do 3D according to spec. But if you aren't into that, then I would suggest that Panasonic. I have the BD50 and I'm happy with it.
"Return with Honor."-Saberwing motto.

3D ? phhft ... I'd rather hold out for full color holographic projection ^.

I have to say that 3D now a day really kind of kicks ass lol... hey Kat it is not like in the 50-60s Tongue

Went to see that Avatar movie actually, not the best movie out there as it is went kind of a bit weird near the end, but overall liked it but not enough to watch multiple times in a row.

For holographic stuff maybe in 10-15 years?

hehe yeah saw avatar at the Imax in 3D . I admit that was most impressive . An the current 3D is cool an all but Hologrpahic stuff that's where it'll be at . A couple weeks ago in Japan they had a blue hologrpahic projection of a live baseball game being played . THAT was kick butt ! . Just picture something like that but in full HD color ... That's what I'm waiting on .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thinking about getting a new comp here is some few thougts of mine :P QuorTek 11 6,227 02-09-2007, 03:52 AM
Last Post: Meparch