Create an account

Please ensure that you clear your cookies for the site before trying to log in; until cookies are cleared you will experience issues logging/remaining logged in. (April 07, 2020) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vent? TS? Mumble?

[To rectify my hijacked thread I, Hanak, have utilized my newfound admin powers to move all threads pertaining to the conversation about online audio communication here.]

I like the jedi one myself, but both are worthy.

I am thinking that I might get a vent server for us to use. I know we have a TS server atm... but I hate TS! Not saying that I refuse to use it, but I would rather not. Not to hijack anyone's thread, but if I did get vent - would SBR be willing to use it and drop TS?

Also, I only bring up the vent/TS issue because you can add a quick join link to the website which made me think of it.

Pretty sure the free version of Ventrilo is capped at 8 users logged in at once, which is why I won't use it.
[Image: sig.jpg]

Your probably better off putting it on here. I'm not sure that Kirby actually has any hosting for a website - my understanding was he just owns the domain name and points it here.

Addon: You can either give me the stuff to upload, or I can make an FTP account up for you, just let me know.

NightFire Wrote:Pretty sure the free version of Ventrilo is capped at 8 users logged in at once, which is why I won't use it.

Well I was thinking of getting a 50 man, as a gift to SBR. I don't mess around with that free stuff. Tongue

I would prefer to run it here is what I was getting at and I can't do that with Ventrillo.

I slightly prefer vent. Seems less resource hungry, sounds better, is a little less cluttered.

Mostly its like asking me if I like hamburgers or brats. The correct answer is yes.
If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it. - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

NightFire Wrote:and I can't do that with Ventrillo.

Do what? Add a quick connect to the website? Not really a big deal, I just knew that it were possible, and would be a neat feature.

Nevertheless, I still plan on getting vent setup closer to TOR launch.

What about Mumble instead of TS or Vent? It's free and is said to have better latency.

The server is working fine for a couple of users on my wireless router even.
[Image: 70da112970815893.png]

What exactly is wrong with TS again that makes it suck so badly people won't consider using a server already set up and running, for free?
[Image: image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19&dateline=1208027303]

I'll do anything. I personally like TS because of the low latency it has. Vent always gets pinged out now and then.
[Image: BRQ8v.gif]

Mumble, TS, Vent - none of them are free. And the costs are around the same for each. And latency issues play a part in all of them.

Mumble is open source, but not free as far as hosting goes. Which makes it more versatile than vent or TS, as far as customization, skins, etc.

TS might already be incorporated with SBR, but it's certainly not free either. I'm sure NiFi can contest to that.

And now that I look back at the thread, I think NiFi meant that he would prefer to host the softphone server for whatever on his end? Of course I could be completely wrong. Smile

I don't mean to turn it into a warzone over how we communicate with each other, I only offered to get a vent server for SBR, if the people of SBR wished it. That would be my contribution to everyone in gearing up for TOR, which leaves room to pay for other things such as web hosting and so forth on NiFi's end and whoever else is keeping this place going.

It may not be an issue of money, but it helps lighten the load a little.

I know Nis used to pay for a ts server but my understanding it is now hosted on one of their computers in their house and I am guessing it no longer costs money? I could be wrong of course but if we aren't paying anything for TS and vent doesn't come with at least a hand job, why do we want someone, anyone no matter how willing, to pay for a service we already have for free?

I'm just not seeing a reason here and a quick launch from a web site to a private server we don't want any old ass hat on (actually been a problem in the past) isn't a good idea to begin with so I still don't see the reason.

What I am really asking for is why is vent so much better than TS? Most likely TOR will have some in game voice system which may work just fine as well. Even SOE has voice hosting servers for their games.
[Image: image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19&dateline=1208027303]

Its not costing us anything to run TS3 (other then electricity I'd be using anyways). The server files are public, and don't have any self imposed limits - unlike Ventrilo which only allows for free servers to host up to 8 people. After that you're forced to buy hosting through an approved vendor.

Vent has more voice options: the ability to turn someone up or down based on how you hear them, and the user has the ability to turn themselves up or down as well. Vent also has chat, the ability to post global messages, pm people, drag users to different rooms, post websites and clickies. And most importantly communication is very clear.

High end guilds use vent, and prefer it over TS. Especially for raiding. That has to say something at the very least.