Create an account

Please ensure that you clear your cookies for the site before trying to log in; until cookies are cleared you will experience issues logging/remaining logged in. (April 07, 2020) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CCP's newest mmo project **updated**

Here is an update at the EVE Fanfest 2012 for the World of Darkness MMO

I like the look of that. Will probably get it if it is Free to Play

Doc Wrote:I like the look of that. Will probably get it if it is Free to Play

I don't think it will be free to play, but never say never

Doc Wrote:I like the look of that. Will probably get it if it is Free to Play

Here is the work-in progress video clip of WOD

Very impressive

Very sorry, but this is vaporware.

For some odd reason, CCP took what is very much a PC game and did a spin off that is PS3 exclusive and they are going to make them work together. Yet the PS4 is out next year. The platform is wrong and the timing is bad.

For Wold of Darkness to get the funding needed to make it happen, Dusk will have to be a huge hit, which I just don't see happening. The game itself looks awesome but the platform is just wrong. I am not just saying that cause sony is dead to me. I do have a PS3, but the Eve player, the natural customer for this game, just isn't the PS3 gamer type.

I just don't think they understand the IQ difference between people who play eve and people who FPS on a console. If there wasn't such a big intelligence difference there, attracting console gamers to eve by putting out a FPS would be brilliant. It just isn't going to happen however.

I also just don't see how the now cash strapped CCP can fully fund the game development needed to make WoD. Which is sad cause it looks to be a cool game. They are clearly repurposing the WoD team to do Eve and Dusk. Now if they did the World for Twilightness MMO, they would have investors lined up around the corner and more than enough cash to make 3 MMOs. Which when you think about it, would be odd for a company to have two different games, one with 99% male player base and another with 99% female player base.
[Image: image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19&dateline=1208027303]

I think Mep is right. PC FPS players, who may be interested in moving into an MMO setting will not change platforms. Particularly since Planetside 2 will be out already. Nor do I think console players will be interested in breaking into the MMO scene, particularly a shooter linked into a game they do not control. On top of that the PS3 doesn't have a very strong FPS presence. And even then you have to figure that the lifespan of a console shooter is pretty short - people are constantly switching to the next new game.

All of which means no funding from within CCP for WoD. And with that kind of loss on their books outside funding it's going to be hard to get.
[Image: sig.jpg]

Not sure if Dusk will be a loss on the books. They clearly went with PS3 as the platform due to development cost reasons exclusively. It must not have been an expensive game, especially when made in Asia, so breaking even shouldn't be too hard. However doing more than that, will be hard.

It is however a very cool concept, just fail execution.
[Image: image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19&dateline=1208027303]

If Dust was Planetside, even Planetside 1, CCP would have built an empire.
If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it. - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Pallos Wrote:If Dust was Planetside, even Planetside 1, CCP would have built an empire.

They will build an empire with WOD

I believe they own half of white-wolf game studios

WOD is the same crap in a different bag.
If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it. - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

I've just learned that dust514 is not only going to be free to play, but that there is no charge for the game at all. (neither subscription nor initial purchase)

Intersting